For Immediate Release: Wednesday, September 2, 2020
Contact: [email protected]
Nevada — NARAL Pro-Choice Nevada today announced its endorsement of thirty candidates — seven in the Senate and 23 in the Assembly — ahead of the November 3rd general election.
The slate includes two candidates seeking to flip seats currently held by anti-choice, anti-freedom Republicans, part of NARAL’s ongoing efforts to protect and expand a majority in the State Assembly that supports reproductive freedom. NARAL has identified the 5th, 6th, 15th, and 18th Senate Districts as top priorities and will be doubling down on organizing efforts to mobilize voters in these key districts.
“NARAL is proud to endorse these 30 candidates for the general election, all of whom embody Silver State values of trusting people to make their own decisions about pregnancy without interference from politicians,” said NARAL Pro-Choice Nevada Director Caroline Mello Roberson. “The stakes for reproductive freedom in 2020 could not be higher, as the Radical Right continues to push an out-of-touch ideological agenda that seeks to criminalize abortion and punish women. Thanks to the hard work of NARAL’s members and our leaders in the nation’s first — and only — majority-female state legislature, Nevada continues to serve as a model for other states when it comes to safeguarding abortion access. But in order to remain a national leader on reproductive freedom, we need to protect our champions in the state legislature and run the strongest candidates possible to further bolster our majority.”
Last year Nevada was one of the few states to proactively safeguard reproductive freedom by passing the Trust Nevada Women Act, one of the country’s most significant pieces of legislation on reproductive freedom passed in 2019. The Trust Nevada Women Act marked a historic move by the state to protect and uphold the reproductive freedom of Nevadans in a year that saw 31 other states push extreme restrictions on abortion.
Endorsed Senate Candidates:
- Senator Pat Spearman (SD-01)
- Senator Chris Brooks (SD-03)
- Kristee Watson (SD-05)
- Majority Leader Nicole Cannizzaro (SD-06)
- Roberta Lange (SD-07)
- Senator Dallas Harris (SD-11)
- Wendy Jauregui-Jackins (SD-15)
Endorsed Assembly Candidates:
- Assembly Member Daniele Monroe-Moreno (AD-01)
- Radhika Kunnel (AD-02)
- Assembly Member Selena Torres (AD-03)
- Assembly Member Connie Munk (AD-04)
- Assembly Member Brittney Miller (AD-05)
- Speaker Jason Frierson (AD-08)
- Assembly Member Steve Yeager (AD-09)
- Assembly Member Bea Duran (AD-11)
- Assembly Member Susie Martinez (AD-12)
- Assembly Member Maggie Carlton (AD-14)
- Cecelia Gonzalez (AD-16)
- Clara Thomas (AD-17)
- Venicia Considine (AD-18)
- Elaine Marzola (AD-21)
- Assembly Member Sarah Peters (AD-24)
- Majority Floor leader Teresa Benetiz-Thompson (AD-27)
- Assembly Member Edgar Flores (AD-28)
- Assembly Member Lesley Cohen (AD-29)
- Assembly Member Shannon Bilbray-Axelrod (AD-34)
- Assembly Member Michelle Gorelow (AD-35)
- Assembly Member Shea Backus (AD-37)
- Assembly Member Sandra Jauregui (AD-41)
- Assembly Member Alexander Assefa (AD-42)
NARAL also endorsed a slate of seven candidates ahead of the June 9th primary, including Liz Becker (SD-18), Shondra Summers-Armstrong (AD-06), Cameron “C.H.” Miller (AD-07), Dr. David Orentlicher (AD-20), Natha Anderson (AD-30), and incumbent Assembly Members Rochelle Nguyen (AD-10) and Howard Watts (AD-15).
For over 50 years, NARAL Pro-Choice America and its network of state affiliates and chapters have fought to protect and advance reproductive freedom—including access to abortion, contraception, and paid family leave—for every body. NARAL is powered by its more than 2.5 million members from every state and congressional district in the country, representing the 7 in 10 Americans who believe every person should have the freedom to make the best decision for themselves about if, when, and how to raise a family.