For Immediate Release: May 4, 2020
NARAL Pro-Choice Nevada Endorses Slate of Reproductive Freedom Champions for State Legislature
Seven Nevada Candidates Earn Primary Endorsements from Nation’s Leading Pro-Choice Advocacy Group
NARAL Pro-Choice Nevada today announced its endorsement of seven candidates ahead of the June 9th primary in Nevada: Liz Becker (SD-18), Shondra Summers-Armstrong (AD-06), Cameron “C.H.” Miller (AD-07), Dr. David Orentlicher (AD-20), Natha Anderson (AD-30), and incumbent Assembly Members Rochelle Nguyen (AD-10) and Howard Watts (AD-15).
“As states across the country continue to chip away at reproductive freedom, Nevada is showing a different way forward. Thankfully, the overwhelming majority of our state legislature is committed to safeguarding legal access to abortion,” said Caroline Mello Roberson, Director of NARAL Pro-Choice Nevada. “But in order to protect this majority, we need to run the strongest candidates possible in November. NARAL is proud to endorse these seven candidates for the upcoming June primary, all of whom embody Silver State values of trusting women to make their own decisions about pregnancy without interference from politicians.”
- Liz Becker (SD-18) is an environmental scientist and activist for the Nevada chapter of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America. She is seeking to unseat anti-choice Republican incumbent Scott Hammond.
- Shondra Summers-Armstrong (AD-06) is an Executive Board Member of SEIU Local 1107 and is now seeking to fill the seat being vacated by Democrat William McCurdy II.
- Cameron “C.H” Miller (AD-07) is a community leader seeking to fill the seat being vacated by Democrat Dina Neal.
- Dr. David Orentlicher (AD-20) is a physician, attorney, and educator now seeking to fill the seat being vacated by Democrat Ellen Spiegel.
- Natha Anderson (AD-30) is an educator and president of the Washoe Education Association. She is now seeking to fill the seat being vacated by Democrat Greg Smith.
- Rochelle Nguyen (AD-10) was first elected to represent the 10th Assembly District in 2018 and is now seeking re-election. She voted for the Trust Nevada Women Act.
- Howard Watts (AD-15) was first elected to represent the 15th Assembly District in 2018 and is now seeking re-election. He voted for the Trust Nevada Women Act.
NARAL Pro-Choice America and its network of state affiliates and chapters are dedicated to protecting and expanding reproductive freedom for all. For more than 50 years, NARAL has worked to guarantee that every woman has the right to make personal decisions regarding the full range of reproductive choices, including preventing unintended pregnancy, bearing healthy children, and choosing legal abortion. Since 1969, NARAL has made history, grown to over 2.5 million members, and met the moments that have defined this fight with action, power and freedom. In recognition of its work defending our constitutional right to choose, Fortune Magazine described NARAL as “one of the top 10 advocacy groups in America.”